Mason's Demo Board - Part 3 of 3

Today on the Steamforged Blog we'd like to invite Michael Archer to the stage to show his final work on the Guild Ball Demo Board that we brought to GenCon 50. 


Masons Painted7.JPG

For painting I went to a hardware store and color matched some of the Army Painter paints that I will be using the most in my terrain work. Lots of browns and greys. I used these as the base coats doing some heavy dry brushing and making sure to have a variety of colors. I wanted to make sure that with all the stone work going on that the piece didn’t end up looking monotone. So I added some blue tones and tans to some of the stone work to have a nice mix of warm and cool colored stone.

For the cobblestone I made a white wash for the grout between the stones. My method for application had mixed results but in the end, I think I will try it again in the future with some improvements. I painted the cobblestones in sections using the dividing lines that I built in as natural break points. I would pre-wet each section, with just enough water that it wasn’t pooling. I would then take a loaded brush with my off-white wash and systematically dab the lines between the stone allowing the capillary action of the paint and water to suck the paint along the lines. The pre-wetting once nailed down really helped speed up a tedious process.

Masons WIP paint.JPG

The scaffolding was painted with browns and greys to make them look like dried wood. I also added a banner mhanging from one to add some more color and enforce that this is a Masons construction project.

Masons Painted8.JPG

For the farm stands I knew these would be where some splashes of color could come in. I purchased some of the farm stands from Tabletop World and rearranged them in different setups adding some to tables and cutting them up to make new ones. Having some splashes of bright color can really help bring a piece together.

Masons painted3.JPG

I also added some color with tattered banners and cloth roofs for the farm stands. I made these basically using a paper machete technique. I find that thin paper towels like you would find in public bathrooms or at work are the best kind for this technique.

Masons Painted2.JPG

Step1: I use the size of each stall to help me measure and then cut with scissors thin paper towel to size, sometimes fraying the edges to make them look tattered and used. 

Tent Roof1.JPG

Step2: I then use a 1 part wood glue to 2 or 3 parts water mixture to wet the paper towel and carefully drape it over the frame of the stall. 

Tent Roof2.JPG

Step3: I use a paint brush to gently maneuver the paper towel to add folds and wrinkles, always being careful not to tear the paper towel. Once it has dried some curling on the edges may of occurred, if this happens you can rewet that portion and try and straighten it back out. 

Tent Roof3.JPG

The last final touch is adding a variety of vegetation that has somehow managed to grow through the cracks of the city streets. I use a variety of grass products flock, static grass from Scenic Express, Silflor grass tufts in a variety of colors, and some of the Silflor ivy creeping up one of the arches. Adding this little bit of greenery really brings the piece to life and makes it feel much more vibrant. 

Masons painted 5.JPG

That’s all for now, but stay tuned for more hobby related blogs in the future.